Steroid Maximus - Ectopia (2002)


J.G. Thirlwell is an interesting fellow. He got his start in the 80's as the industrial musician known as Foetus, but these days, most have become familiar with his music through The Venture Bros (you know the badass opening and closing themes? Yeah, that's him). His work under the moniker Steroid Maximus is more akin to the music he's composed for Venture Bros, containing none of the anger and misanthropy found in his Foetus-era albums. Rather, "Ectopia" is the soundtrack to a spy movie never made: one inside Thirlwell's imagination. Exotic percussion and wailing trumpets conjure images of frantic chases through crowded streets; eerie, distorted choirs tell tales of deception and betrayal; it's a truly cinematic album. I'm not even sure if that's a pun or not.

5 Responses so far.

  1. this sounds very cool, .. thx

  2. H@m says:

    I saw Jazz, downloaded it and instantly thought. "This is goddamn awesome, sounds like Venture Brothers music" Did some research he scored their stuff too. Jawesome upload.

  3. mrk_d says:

    This is pretty fucking awesome. Thanks for posting.

  4. Amazing work. The first album as Steroid Maximus is even better.
    Quilombo! Check out the title song.
    I saw it performed live.
    A big band, directed by Jim Thirwell himself. Goosebumps.
    (Pity a lot in the audience wanted Foetus music)
    A Must see if you ever get the chance.

  5. Unknown says:

    Hi. I see that you are giving away my albums Steroid Maximus ECTOPIA and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel NAIL on your blog.

    I'm glad that you are into my work, but you may not be aware that I sell albums on my website, both physical and digitally, and also through major digital outlets.

    While you may think it is harmless to post my album, by giving away my work, you undermine my ability to make revenue and support myself with my music; and you devalue my music. I appreciate you may be trying to turn people on to my work but it would be more helpful if you directed people to my site where they can hear my works streamed and purchase it.

    Please respect my wishes as the artist who created this work and take down this album from your blog. Thanks for your understanding on this matter.

    JG Thirlwell

    www.foetus.org

Leave a Reply