Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (1958)


complete sessions from Miles' only film score, from the French noir masterpiece "Elevator to the Gallows".

featuring "the loneliest trumpet sound you will ever hear... hear it and weep"

14 Responses so far.

  1. what about A Tribute to Jack Johnson?

  2. Anonymous says:

    i believe Tribute to JJ was a studio album that was used as a soundtrack, but wasn't originally recorded as such. excuse me while i go listen to that now

  3. Anonymous says:

    Love this one, sorta underrated for Miles. I especially like Diner Au Motel. I always wondered if the movie was suited to the soundtrack, or vice versa.

  4. Anonymous says:

    IIRC, Miles laid out the harmonies beforehand, but the score was improv recorded while the band was watching the film on a bigscreen.

  5. kurt says:

    Some exquisite work on this album. Just what you would expect with god blowing a trumpet.

  6. First off, I'd like to thank you for posting this beautiful piece of music, it is wonderful.

    As this played through my speakers, my dad came in, the avid jazz listener he is instantly recognizing it and praising me for playing it. It was the first conversation I have had with my dad that didn't involve school or criticism in a really long time, so I thank you, albeit indirectly, for that as well.

  7. @poetichigh, that's cute but also awesome at the same time! Thanks for posting that; it makes us all here at WFLM HQ feel like we matter "that" much more in people's lives. Like people still actually give a damn about good music.

  8. Anonymous says:

    we also do couples counseling!

  9. Haha @ill! my girl and I are wonderful, but ya know its the thought that counts. With that offer why go to any other website, music, life advice, all here at WFLM.

  10. Only score? Don't forget The Hot Spot - Miles and John Lee Hooker together. (and Jack Nitzsche!) One of the odder collaboration albums of the 80s. Was it 80s? Very late 80s maybe. I think I have a copy on a shelf here somewhere though I haven't listened to it in ages.

  11. Anonymous says:

    beautiful gonna check out the movie too,thx

  12. Anonymous says:

    80s Miles doesn't count, because it's mostly garbage. Tutu is one of the worst albums i've ever spent money on

  13. I looooooooove this record and I just knew of it 5 minutes ago.

    Thanks!!!


    Feguillerme

Leave a Reply