Itzhak Perlman - Paganini's 24 Caprices for Solo Violin (1978)

well screw you avax...




I've been on a big Paganini kick lately. For those not familar, Paganini is known primarily for his virtuosicly fast and notoriously difficult violin pieces. I'd argue that it's the classical equivilant of Buckethead, taking classical violin far outside of it's normal comfort zone.

Playing on this recording is Itzhak Perlman, who can (as required) tear his fucking violin to shreads with his lightning fast bow.

This album is Paganini's 24 Caprices for Solo Violin. Each piece studies specific (bruatally fast, impossible) techniques. That said, there's as much to enjoy aesthetically as they are technically. They're light, fun, and energetic.

I think that y'all'll like this one.


BONUS ROUND! Does anyone have a copy of the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra's recording of Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring from 1978? I need to listen to it for my thesis...

Categories: , ,

4 Responses so far.

  1. thanks will,

    Here's that recording, good luck with the thesis!

    http://www.mediafire.com/?8q096yxyczc1fc1

  2. Will says:

    Oh hell yes.
    Thanks a whole bunch.
    I'm interested in this in particular since it was the first digitally recorded album to win a grammy, and definitely a something that legitimized digital recording technology.

  3. do you have any the strokes albums?????

  4. Estarion says:

    dHey Will,
    1) Thank you. I love this album, it's so damn clean.

    2) I'm a friend of John Lane's and was wondering if I could get in on the WFLM bandwagon.

    PThottumkara

Leave a Reply